Wow what a day! I am even more red now than I was Tuesday at the track meet. You would have thought I had learned my lesson but nope I am slower than that. My skin is so red. We spent the whole day getting the garden planted. Jesse went a little garden crazy this year. I can't believe how big of a garden he made. sheeesh! He planted 72 tomato plants. I have no idea what we need 72 tomato plants for but ok, what ever. I am on for the ride so here we go. We do bottle each year. I do stewed tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. last year we didn't do a garden because we thought we would be building the house last summer and didn't end up getting the permits until Oct. so I am thinking the one year lack of garden is the bug that has gotten into him this year and made him garden crazy.
We also planted about 70 other plants like, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, a variety of squash, and melons. I am looking forward to the fresh salsa that he makes every year. YUMMY!!! And even though I am burnt to a crisp and I am so stinking tired and have to still work until 2 am, I am glad we have the garden in. It has been lots of fun getting it ready. (now only to start on getting a yard in) The kids helped but mostly spent the day catching frogs and making swamp palaces in the yard for the frogs to play in. Yeah I am sure the poor little frogs love that. Rest assured that all the frogs were returned (escaped) to the wild before end of day. And at least the kids were entertained. Since playing in the mud is all they can do in the yard until we get some energy to actually get it ready for grass.
Oh how I am dreading all that work. It is going to be a huge huge job!! Long story short the reason it has taken so long for us to get our permits to build our house is because we have had water problems on our ground. The final solution to fix the problem was to haul in about 250 loads of rock and dirt. So that our house sits about 4 ft above ground level. So now we have to turn all the fill into a yard by sloping it and etc. And since we are doing that with the little tractor that we borrowed from my FIL we are not going very fast at it. Plus, then we still have to pay for even more dirt to be brought in for top soil. Yeah this is going to be a long summer full of sunburns. I am only beginning. I better invest in some better sunscreen for my almost albino skin. But it will be worth ever single second of it and I know we will even enjoy the process because that is how we are.
And TaDa here is the garden with all the tiny little starter plants in it. Now just to hope the weather will hold up since this has been a strange year for weather. (Please don't freeze and kill all my plants I will cry)
7 comments:
way cool! awesome huge garden! and how fun about the frogs! lucky kiddos! and that is awesome about all the variety of plants you guys put in. SO COOL!
There must be something about men and tomato plants. My dad just planted 60 some. No idea why?
what paper did you use on samanthas track meet. Love it. Would love the pictures of BAilee too!
I'm impressed! I bet Jesse is in heaven. I only planted like 10 tomato plants but my garden is like1/4 the size of yours. I was hoping that maybe you would get a nap for mothers day but I guess not! Now go and put some aloe vera on....
So I guess we don't need to bother planting a garden this year? We'll buy the chips if you bring the salsa, oh, and toolbelts.....
I'll come weed if you pay me in tomatoes.
What a wonderful garden. I hope you get good crops.
Post a Comment