Friday, May 9, 2008

Samantha New Track Star, Missing in Action.....

One of those weeks: a ride on the emotional roller coaster of life... Mostly centered on Samantha
First off I have to say that I am not the only one enjoying my birthday present of the Cricut Machine. Samantha made this cute sign for the door to her room. I love that I actually got her to show some of that cute personality of hers on camera. (she is shy)
Now for the scary story of the day. I had a very busy day with lots to get done. Finishing up my mothers days gifts. And I was sitting here making them around 10 am when I get a phone call from the school. My 1st thought was that Jaden better not be calling to tell me to come get him because my car is still in the shop and I just knew it wasn't Samantha because her class was on a field trip today. It was the school secretary saying that she was calling to see how Samantha is doing. I am like "?????Huh???? what are you talking about?"
So she said "Well isn't she sick? Isn't the why she isn't as school?"
UM so my heart does a leap. I reply in a somewhat panicked voice by now "She better be at school I put her on the bus this morning."
Yeah at this point you can imagine I am starting to think the worst.
So she says "Well, she probably just got marked absent. I will run to her class room and check on her."
Only problem NO ONE is in the class room because they are gone on a field trip. So she assured me she would find out. I told her she better call the bus depot and get the drive on the intercom ASAP and make sure my kid is there. So I hang up start pacing and thinking what the hell happened to my kid? I kept telling myself she is there, she is fine, if anything happened after she got on the bus someone would have seen and would have ran for help, wouldn't they?
So then ah ha I remember the teacher is one of her friends grandma's so I call the mom to get the grandma/ teachers cell phone and guess what she isn't there she is on the field trip too. So then ah ha number 2 call Nikki she may be there she goes on field trips.
So I call her cell phone and she answers.
Me: all calm "are you working or are you on the field trip?"
her: "I am on the field trip"
Me: "Is Samantha there?"
Her: "Ya, why do you need to talk to her?"
Me: wah, wah, wah, boo hoo, hysterically crying "no I am just glad she is with you and alive and safe"
Nikki again: "take a breath! What is going on?"
So I tell her. At that point the school calls back. They had called another teacher on her cell phone at the same time.
See this is how I am. I totally held it together thinking OK I am sure she is there but I want to confirm it. So I take care of that, figuring out how I am going to make sure she made it to the field trip. I didn't really get too worked up until Nikki confirmed that she was fine at which point I lost it, totally bawling hysterically. Once I get the yes she is fine then I cry because I was so glad that she was ok. Just to realize that she is ok and how fast things can happen. Man being a mom sucks. Kids can be such a worry and you just want to lock them up where you can keep them safe, but you know that they have to have a life and that you have to let them go and be on their own sometimes, but it is so hard and so scary. So needless to say this was on hell of a scary day and I don't mind saying that I had the shit scared out of me. You bet ya, I was so damn happy to see my baby girl walk in that door after school today.
And in other news.... she kicked some butt at the Hershey Track Meet on Tuesday:
Running shoes $20
Sun Screen $5
Home lunch $4
Finding out you can kick major A$$ and that you have a real talent: PRICELESS!!
This was Samantha's 1st year to do the track meet. She has been so nervous about it and has been saying things like: I will look so dumb when I run, so and so said this, what if my foot hurts, what if I don't want to run, etc. you know just being her total normal stressed out self. She get all worked up over everything. She totally stressed until she makes herself sick. Now we knew she could run pretty fast and that if she would actually get past the nerves and past her being so self conscious that she would do pretty good in her races and that she would find out for herself that she can do anything she tries. We didn't really know that she was going to kick some major butt and find out that she loves to win and has a little competitive streak to her.
So when I get there her teacher tells me that Samantha is really nervous and that she says she isn't going to run. The teacher will not make them run if they don't want to. But I was determined to get this girl on the track. I love her to pieces but she really stays in her little bubble way too much. She has a very hard time getting out and trying new things or meeting new people. She is SHY very SHY and she is very hard on herself and totally a nervous person. I knew I had to make her at least try this. So I sat in the stands and talked to her for a long time about how she needed to just pretend that she is the only one on that track and that really no one would be watching just her. And she pointed out just how fast it is over and that you aren't on there in front of everyone for very long and then you get to sit with your friends again. So she decides that she is going to give it a try and lines up for the 1st race. 50 meter I think.
WOO HOO GO Samantha GO! She crossed that finish line and didn't have anyone even close to her. (probably figured the faster she ran the less people could see of her. LOL) But oh boy once she caught a taste or victory she was thrilled. She came off after that 1st race and was like "WOW that was fun! I like winning!" uh oh not only have we found a new talent but we have unleashed little miss competition. She finished her other events 1st place too. Then moved into the semi-finals where she finished those races all 1st place too. And then they did her relay and then finals. She did great! She was so exhausted by the end. She came up and told me that she had ran 11 races. (I don't think it was quite that many) But even exhausted when she ran the finals she was amazing. She came in 3rd place in one and I believe 4th place in the other. She has been so proud of her self and keeps telling us. "I am the 3rd fastest 3rd grader in the city" Cute huh!?
I know I am being a bragger mom, but I have to just tell you what I am bragging about.. I am so proud of her for not making up any excuses, for not getting so scared that she either quit or puked or fainted, for not letting other people get into her head and convince her that she couldn't do it so why try. I am so proud of her for getting out there for trusting in herself and for trying. For not just trying but for really going for it, for giving it her all and for really really being brave. This was one of the best experiences and self confidence builders that she could ever have and she really needed it. Way to go girl!! You are a rock star! Looks like there is one crack in the shell and we may get her to come out of it after all.

3 comments:

Amy said...

love love love these pages! VERY cute! Samantha looks so adorable. And she did so well in the track meet! Go Samantha!

oda41143 Missy said...

Oh Nat, that would scare the poop out of me. I'm so sorry that you went through that. I bet you could kill the teacher for the accidental absent mark and the secretary for calling you. Thank God for cell phones. What would we do without them? Cute pages and one awesome little girl :)

Crazymamaof6 said...

i do that too calm and then FREAK! and that is a totally cute sign, and WHOOHOO on the track meet. So awesome!