Today we went out to dinner with the family to celebrate Grandmas Birthday. The kids love these family dinners. Not that we don't eat out enough. LOL
I wanted to take a second to brag about what a great Mother In Law I have. Since I am trying to document more of my feelings about my loved ones and my blessings I figure a birthday is a great time to do so.
Obviously she raised the bestest kid ever, and then sent him out to rescue me from my self, and to raise my kids and all that other fun stuff. But seriously she is so amazing! She hasn't had an easy life. She has seen much tragedy and still just keeps her head up and keeps on, keeping on. She lost her mother at the age of like 12 or 9 yrs old. (yikes I forget exactly) Her 1st marriage was not an easy one to say the least and her second husband passed away after a long and hard battle with cancer (my Samantha is named after him) and her oldest son died within 6 months of you loosing her husband. Can you even imagine loosing your husband and child within 6months. I have no idea how she did it. It was hard to say the least. She worked grave yard shifts at the hospital for years so that she could be their for my husband and raised him on her own. And like I said she did a fabulous job!! Jesse's sister too is an amazing loving and giving person. Ultra organized, mondo spiritual and has the same ability to let he kids be kids and they are turning out great. I think she learned a lot of this from her mom too. I look at Jen and she is the kind of person that you just drop your jaw and think "Hey, can I have some of that too, please?" Grandma Pat just plain raised great kids that is all there is to it!
My mother in law is the kind of person that really keeps her nose out. She lets you live your life and do your own thing yet she is there for every single event we ever have and she is always there to help us and to give advise when it is asked for. I really really lack this ability with my own children. I am always telling them exactly what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. I really need to back off and let them make choices and learn to live with those choices. I am slowly learning this. I can see by her example and by my moms that letting your kids live and learn is the way to go but boy it is so hard for me. I am a ultra control freak especially when it comes to my kids.
She re-married when my husband was on his mission and so they have only been married about 2 years longer than Jesse and I. They are so completely cute together! Super wonderful grandparents, my kids are so blessed to have them living so close to us. (my kids have 3 sets of grandparent's within 10 miles of us) I was blessed with the opportunity to be there when She and her hubby were sealed together for time and all eternity. That is something that was so special and so sacred to me. I can't even think of that day with out getting a little teary. It was so amazing to see the change that came over them as they started to attend church, and how much closer our family became as they found that family bond and strength that comes from the church.
I am so grateful for this amazing women and for her love for me and my family. She opened her arms and her heart to me from the very beginning and I love feeling a part of her family. I was only 18 when I met Jesse and I am absolutely sure that I was an obnoxious know it all young and naive girl. But she loved me anyway. This would be a great time to mention that she totally fixed us up on our 1st date. Yes, I met my husband on a blind date arranged by our mothers at work. But that is another story. Thanks for letting me brag about her. I love this blogging thing. I know that I am not one to show emotion in public, she said tonight at dinner that she wanted to give me hug but didn't know if I would want her to. (note to self,, quit being so rigid about touching people.LOL) I did hug her and I did tell you it was ok. I think she understands that I am just not the touchy feely type. Hugs aside, I do love her and I hope she had a very very happy birthday!
4 comments:
You are so sweet and so lucky to have such a wonderful mother in law. I wish I could say these things about mine :)
What a wonderful post about your mother in law! I hope she gets to read it, and if she doesn't, I hope someone e-mails it to her...
I really love my mother in law too. I love that on top of her being my family that I can honestly call her a good friend of mine as well.
oh how sweet! I love my mil too! it's so nice, isn't it? What a blessing she is in your life!!
I know your mother in law very very well and she loves you too! She is an amazing person!
Post a Comment