Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sometimes Great things just happen

I am big on traditions. I always have been I was raised with many many traditions and they are just in me. Perhaps its that I am not a really organized or scheduled type person so I may cling to these little traditions as my way of finding the things that are constant. Or I guess you could say my fly by the the seat of your pants attitude is a tradition in its own way. But either way I just love traditions and I have made a dang sure effort in forming traditions that are unique to our family weather it is egg nog on Christmas eve (from my family) or Christmas bears (his family) or Conference drives (our own family) we like to spend time doing these traditions.

Sometimes it feels like I am always enforcing these traditions. You know the mom job of organizing it, planning it, and making it happen. And I do this not to torture the family but because it is important for me to take the time to build family closeness and for the kids to have family time. But sometimes great things just happen. Like somehow it has just slipped in there this fabulous Flying Kites With Daddy tradition.

Every spring Jesse gets a bug and buys kites and brings them home so that he and the kids can go out into the yard (or this year, um, lack of yard) and fly kites together. He gets great kites with all the fluff (like this year a full on pop out dragon) and also simple little $1 kites for the little kids since he knows they are going to get crashed. Could you imagine such a thing? But it doesn't matter the kites, it is the remarkable way that he makes the kids feel so special about it. He brings the kites home and makes is such a big deal to show them their surprise and then sets aside his time to fly them together. I love this!!!!! I love that this didn't take any coaxing or pushing from me and that he just loves to do it. It was never intended to be a tradition but it has just somehow become one and in my opinion these are the traditions that will make the lasting difference. Not so much the pj's on Christmas eve or mom forcing you into the car to go somewhere for the sake of tradition. But The heartfelt my daddy loves me and loves to spend time with me tradings. Sometimes great things just happen. Thanks Jesse for being a super dad! One more of the many things I love about you!

This is my favorite picture of the day. Garyn in the back yard with his kite. I adore his yellow puddle boots almost as much as he does. He wears them with everything. I am temped to print this in black and white all except the boots and the kite. What do ya think? Can you just see how perfect a day it was for flying kites?

Samantha sitting on the hay. It was a little chilly in the wind so she was flying her kite from inside her pocket. It was cute she was just sitting on the hay enjoying the day.

Jesse trying to get Jaden's Dragon kite up in the air. After the kite flying was over I made him stay our in the breeze and BBQ steaks and boy did they ever hit the spot. It was a Fabulous Friday for sure!

I am going to be taking a small bloggy break because it is spring break with the kids and we have fun things planned. WOO HOO the kids have a week off school and Jesse and I have a week of work this is going to be great!

5 comments:

oda41143 Missy said...

That's awesome. Your kiddos are very lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy!

Crazymamaof6 said...

fabulous and super fun tradition! what a sweet daddy to do that. have a fun spring break!

Matchbox Mom said...

Wow! Have a great spring break! I hope all is well with you!!!
Looks like a fun tradition! Looks like you had a ton of fun!

Tams

Sunny said...

Nat,
Crazy I know it but I think of you on all these holidays because I remeber when I met you and you told us about all your mother did.
Your such good parents...have fun!
Sunny

Cecily R said...

Wonderful tradition!!

So....how was your Spring Break??? Looking forward to hearing about it. :)